Element Collection

Element Collection

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Experiment: Tin Oxide Thermite

Another thermite composition - 4.19:1 SnO2:Al by weight, with about 25g total thermite. I already had tin samples for my collection, but every thermite produces a different reaction so I wanted to try it out. I wasn't disappointed. This one produced a lot of smoke and some bright sparks, following the reaction
4Al + 3SnO2 -> 2Al2O3 + 3Sn
I recovered a lump of tin caked in alumina slag that I could not easily remove since tin is so soft. I melted the piece in a crucible and was able to pour off some (relatively) pure tin that was nice and shiny. As you can see in the last picture I recovered almost 4g of tin, which was about a 20% yield.









































































1 comment: